2019 Region 5 Grant Program
Proposals accepted now!
The upcoming year holds many opportunities for ASCE. Region 5 is kicking off a new mini-grants programs to help your group promote ASCE. A short proposal and report is required for each grant request. Funding of up to $1,500 per projects is available.
Proposals will be accepted on an ongoing basis beginning December 18, 2018. The Region 5 Governors will evaluate grant proposals and select projects for FY19 funding. Applicants will be notified of the status of their proposals via email to Section/Branch presidents and treasurers within 60 days of application receipt.
Funding priority will be given to FY19 Region 5 initiatives and projects that are new programs for Sections and Branches that have a measurable impact on a desired audience. The Region recognizes that all Sections and Branches have different resources, needs and goals; it's the Region's goal that these funds will help make programs available to Sections and Branches that may not have the existing resources.
FY19 Region Initiatives for funding priority:
- ASCE Outreach Programs
- Section/Branch Leadership Development
- Student Member Transition
Click to download the 2019 Region 5 Grant Program Guidelines (docx) - Updated 12/16/18
For questions or submittals, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Region 5 Awards Criteria
SUBMITTAL DEADLINE: JUNE 1, 2019
Region 5 is countinuing a Region 5 Awards program in 2019. The below categories are open for nomination:
- Region 5 Civil Engineer of the Year - awarded annually to one recipient to recognize outstanding achievements of a practicing Civil Engineer that is active within the Region.
- Region 5 Younger Civil Engineer of the Year - awarded annually to one recipient to recognize outstanding achievements of a practicing Civil Engineer, age 35 of less that is active within the Region.
- Region 5 Civil Engineering Student of the Year - is awarded annually to one recipient to recognize an outstanding Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology Student, enrolled in an undergraduate program and is active in ASCE within the Region.
- Region 5 Wall of Fame - a designation to honor Civil Engineers that have made a substantial contribution to ASCE, Region 5, and the Civil Engineering community. Nominations will be considered annually, with no more than 3 candidates selected for the honor in a given year.
Eligibility of the Award
Nominees must be submitted by a Region 5 Section. Only 1 nomination per Section, per award, may be submitted each year. The selection process is based on the nominees contributions to the region, society, profession, the public welfare, and/or humankind as listed under the purpose of the award.
- Nominee for Civil Engineer of the Year must be a licensed Professional Engineer and must be an ASCE Member in good standing.
- Nominee for Younger Civil Engineer of the Year must be an ASCE Member or Associate Member and must be an ASCE member in good standing.
- Nominee for Engineering Student of the Year must be an ASCE Student Member in good standing enrolled in an undergraduate Civil Engineering Student.
- Nominee for the Region 5 Wall of Fame must be a Fellow or Life Member of ASCE at least 55 years or older, made significant contributions to the Civil Engineering Profession, supported and promoted ASCE, Region 5, and the Civil Engineering Profession, and be endorsed by two Licensed Professional Engineers not on the Board of Directors of the nominating branch.
The following sections present the award nomination criteria that will be considered. The information can be typed and submitted as attachments to this form, or the information can be entered electronically, lengthening the form as needed. Nomination should be a maximum of 5 pages. Points may be deducted if longer than 5 pages.
- ASCE Involvement: ASCE activities during the past five years, including offices held and awards (20 Points).
- Professional/Technical Society Involvement: Other professional/technical society activities during the past five years, including offices held and awards (20 Points).
- Civic and Humanitarian Organization Involvement: Civic and humanitarian organization activities in during the past five years, including positions held (20 Points).
- Engineering Achievements: Submit narrative supporting nominee’s project achievements (40 Points).
- A statement of 100 words maximum (one page, double spaced) that supports the nomination showing achievement in Civil Engineering. Statement will include description of awards received in recognition of Civil Engineering accomplishments. NOTE: The statements of the nominees selected for the Civil Engineer of the Year Awards will be used in Region Award announcements and on the Region webpage.
- A nomination letter signed by the sponsor Section. (not included in total page count).
- A resume would be helpful to the judges but is not obligatory (not included in total page count).
- A photograph will be required from the winning nominees.
- Name and address of a local newspaper.
Submittal Deadline: JUNE 1, 2019
Send the completed form to the following address: email@example.com
Click to download the 2019 Awards Nomination Form (.doc)
Award winners will be contacted by October 1, 2019.
Awards will be presented at a local Section or Branch function
For questions, please contact Jeff Earhart at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alabama Section
- Georgia Section
- Florida Section
- Louisiana Section
- Mississippi Section
- Puerto Rico Section