October 2019 Region 5 Director Update
Member Experience, Society Alignment Key to Board Actions
The ASCE 2019 Convention went to sunny South Florida this month for an excellent weekend of informative sessions, engaging speakers and an absolutely inspiring launch of ASCE’s Future World Vision Floating City experience. Following the convention, the Board of Direction had its final meeting of the year. It was a packed agenda, as usual, and we took some exciting steps toward further improving the member experience in our Society, while also strengthening the alignment between our many groups and programs.
Highlights from the Board meeting:
- The Board voted to approve a new Society-wide digital strategy project, which will help create an improved user experience that makes connecting with ASCE resources, programs and members easier than ever.
- The Board received a membership update, specifically outlining ASCE’s new Forward Faster campaign to help attract and retain members. The Forward Faster campaign, emphasizing "how ASCE is your direct path to the future of civil engineering," is an exciting start.
- The Board also heard an update on Future World Vision. The Floating City virtual reality proof-of-concept was very well-received in Miami, and we’re excited about the project’s direction heading into 2020.
- Having charged ASCE executive staff at the July meeting to bring a three-year balanced budget plan to the October meeting for review, the Board received the new three-year plan and showed its support with an informal vote of approval.
- The Board received an update on ASCE’s progress on the Grand Challenge, including new recommendations from the Industry Leaders Council that have been referred to ASCE Organizational Entities.
The first Board meeting of 2020 is scheduled for Jan. 8 in Detroit.
To share your views or provide ideas on how ASCE can better serve its members and the profession, please email Peter.
Director, Region 5
* Remember, the R5BoG is made up of seven Governors who are willing and able to help.
Past Director Reports
- ASCE Region 5 Director Letter 2018 - 3rd Quarter
- ASCE Region 5 Director Letter 2018 - 2nd Quarter
- ASCE Region 5 Director Letter 2018 - 1st Quarter
Past Region 5 Newsletters