2019 2nd Quarter Newsletter (Coming Soon)
March 2019 Region 5 Director Update
"Committee Restructures, Big-Picture Planning Highlight Productive
It was another successful Spring Week for ASCE in the Washington, DC, area. The annual Legislative Fly-In featured members from all 50 states (plus DC and Puerto Rico) bringing our message of infrastructure investment to Congress. The 20th annual OPAL Gala honored the best people and projects in our profession.
The Board meeting was a productive session, as we continue to reshape ASCE and everything we do in alignment with our new strategic plan.
Highlights from the Board meeting:
- The Board of Direction approved a reorganization of the Committee on Advancing the Profession. The new structure creates a new diversity and inclusion advisory council called MOSAIC (Members Of Society Advancing Inclusion Council) that will report directly to the Board, among several other important improvements (read the full ASCE News story online).
- The Task Committee on Revenue Generation gave a progress report on its four key areas: 1. building engagement with government engineers; 2. market intelligence and benchmarking data; 3. leadership training; 4. online streaming. Each area has had its successes and challenges during the past year. Various relevant ASCE committees will continue to work with ASCE staff to monitor each area and maximize future opportunities.
- Student voting rights continues to be an important issue worth consideration. President-Elect K.N. Gunalan, Ph.D., P.E., D.GE, F.ASCE, updated the Board on his work in this area, and we approved his continued leadership for research into possible student voting rights recommendations.
- The next Board meeting is scheduled for July 12 and 13 at ASCE Headquarters in Reston, VA.
To share your views or provide ideas on how ASCE can better serve its members and the profession, please email Peter.
Director, Region 5
* Remember, the R5BoG is made up of seven Governors who are willing and able to help:
Jeff Earhart (FL): firstname.lastname@example.org
Katherine Gurd (GA): email@example.com
Sarah L. Matin (FL): SarahL.Matin@rinkerpipe.com
Ali Mustapha (LA): firstname.lastname@example.org
Lawren Pratt (AL): Lawren.Pratt@kbr.com
Ronald L. Schumann, Jr. (LA):RSchumann@ilsiengineering.com
Shelly Watson (MS): email@example.com
Past Director Reports
- ASCE Region 5 Director Letter 2018 - 3rd Quarter
- ASCE Region 5 Director Letter 2018 - 2nd Quarter
- ASCE Region 5 Director Letter 2018 - 1st Quarter
Past Region 5 Newsletters