October 2017 Message from Region 2 Director
Launch of Region 2 Awards Program
On behalf of the ASCE Region 2 Board of Governors, I am pleased to announce the launch of a new series of awards to highlight and recognize the outstanding service of our Region 2 ASCE members:
- Outstanding ASCE Younger Member Award
- Outstanding ASCE Student Member Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Outstanding ASCE Faculty/Practitioner Advisor Award
All 11,000+ ASCE members from any of our Region 2 Sections, Branches or Student Chapters are eligible. Nominations are due by November 30, 2017. Selection criteria for each award and the nominating process are described on the nomination forms located at: http://regions.asce.org/region2/awards. Please help honor a deserving ASCE colleague by nominating them for a Region 2 Award. Thank you!
ASCE Board Meeting and National Convention
The Oct. 7-8 ASCE Board meeting in New Orleans, LA, was held just before the ASCE 2017 Convention. The weekend began amid the threat of Hurricane Nate. As it turned out, the storm pushed east and mostly missed New Orleans, but our thoughts were with those on the Gulf Coast who were affected.
The ASCE 2017 Convention on Oct. 9-11 was a tremendous success! All enjoyed networking and learning in 2017 ASCE President Norma Jean Mattei’s home town and Kristina Swallow was inducted as 2018 ASCE President. We look forward to her enthusiastic and insightful leadership in the coming year.
Goals - The Board of Direction approved six goal statements for the Society:
- Civil engineers develop and apply innovative, state-of-the-art practices and technologies
- All infrastructure is safe, efficient, and sustainable
- ASCE advances the educational and professional standards for civil engineers
- The public values civil engineers’ essential role in society
- An ever-growing number of civil engineers are members of, and engage in, ASCE
- ASCE excels in strategic and operational effectiveness
Following review of goals and strategies the Board expects to release its new strategic plan next March.
Policies - The Board adopted the Public Policy Committee’s recommendation on two policy statements:
- PS 349 Sediment Management for Erosion Control, Channel Maintenance and Coastal Protection, to support “the beneficial management of sediments and dredged materials,”
- PS 526 Public Private Partnerships (P3), ASCE criteria to assess (P3) project delivery methods.
Board Structure - After considering recommendations of the Task Committee on Governance Structure for a modified Board structure the ASCE Board of Direction voted to retain the current Board structure.
To share your views or to suggest ways the Society could serve you better please email me.
Until next time,
John Casana, PE, F. ASCE
ASCE Director, Region 2